Monday, August 27, 2012

Apple studies


"Green Apple Study", oil on canvas 6" x 6", 8/27/12
I'm returning to oils after painting with acrylic for several years, so I'm going back to basics.  I absolutely love Carol Marine's style, and she has these great tutorials on Daily PaintWorks that have really inspired me.  I did the little value study below first, using only burnt umber and wiping out the lights.  It's a lot harder than it looks!

The color study came next -- what a joy!  But the photo also helps me see areas I need to work on, like softening and losing edges, seeing color accurately, breaking the form down into planes and getting the light right.  Holy Moly!  Good thing it's fun!  I plan to do many, many more of these studies until I can get a handle on this stuff.



"Apple Value Study", oil on canvas 6" x 6", 8/27/12

No comments:

Post a Comment